DiversityEx: Why there is not more diversity among health entrepreneurs and what can we do about it? (Cambridge & MCR)
Time & Location
About the Event
70% of NHS staff are women, 20% are BAME, so why aren’t more of our health tech entrepreneurs from diverse backgrounds?
To start to understand this better, our One HealthTech hubs at Cambridge and Manchester are hosting a zoom webinar focussed on the reasons why there is not more diversity and inclusion in health entrepreneurship. We will hear the perspectives of innovators, investors and NHS policy-makers.
As a volunteer-led grassroots community that supports and promotes under-represented groups, we want to motivate reflections on what we can do to support the future leaders in health innovation. We want to ensure both health entrepreneurs and funders can make the most of a health innovation space that is diverse and inclusive.
Topics we will address:
- Context of health entrepreneurship equality, diversity and inclusion
- Real life experiences from health entrepreneurs
- NHS offer to support health entrepreneurs – the CEP Programme
- Medtech and healthcare venture capital
- What can we do about diversity and inclusion health entrepreneurship?
Event format: Short talks from speakers followed by a chaired group discussion. We aim to reflect on ways to address lack of diversity and inclusion in health entrepreneurship, so ALL questions are allowed. The event will be recorded or available on demand.
17.00 - Welcome
17.10 – Real life experiences: health entrepreneurs, NHS, VC, a global view
17.50 – Panel discussion and Q&A – we want to create a flexible and safe environment to discuss ALL types of questions!
18.10 – Breakout room discussion and networking
- Prof. Tony Young, National Clinical Director for Innovation NHS England & Founder Clinical Entrepreneur Programme
- Mariam Toye, Founder & Editor, Oumissa Inspire & OHT Nigeria Curator
- & a diverse group of other brilliant voices - more details to follow